In that spirit, there's no looking back in this episode. No compilation of the "best" songs I've ever played or the best in-between bits I've scavenged and put together. They're all supposed to be the best anyway, right? Soon all of the old episodes will be back online and then you'll be free to check those out any time. If you scroll down, you'll see that episodes #2 and #3 are back online for the first time in years. Episode #3 features a run of classic Dischord Records jams from Void, Embrace, and The Make-Up, while episode #2 takes a trip from The Rezillos to The Gun Club to The Lovin' Spoonful ("6' O'Clock", what a song!). Don't forget to check back frequently to the Podcast Archive below for more old episodes.
Anyway, episode #50 contains nearly an hour's worth of songs that have never been played on Random Old Records before, kicking off with the opening track of La Sera's amazing 2014 album Hour Of The Dawn, and also featuring the opening track off the brand new La Sera album, which isn't quite amazing but is still really, really good. You'll also hear grungy punk jams from Fleabite, Sports, and Personal Best, classic power pop from Zombies frontman Colin Blunstone, a hot modern disco track from Pharoahs featuring Maria Minerva, and a closing monster of a track: Catwoman Eartha Kitt taking on "Hurdy Gurdy Man" by Donovan and leaving no prisoners!
Stream the episode in the player below, or go HERE directly to stream or download. As always, thanks for listening! I'll be back in a month with episode #51!!
Random Old Records #50
1. La Sera - "Hour Of The Dawn"
(Hour Of The Dawn, Hardly Art 2014)
2. Tacocat - "Bridge To Hawaii"
(NVM, Hardly Art 2014)
3. Personal Best - "The Mission/If You Meet Someone In Love (Wish Them Well)"
(Arnos Vale, Specialist Subject 2015)
4. Fleabite - "Missing Everyone"
(T.T.Y.L. 7", Puzzle Pieces 2015)
5. Sports - "Clean Jeans"
(Sunchokes, self-released 2014)
--Zombies Ate My Neighbors!
6. Colin Blunstone - "She Loves The Way They Love Her"
(One Year, Epic 1971)
7. Foxygen - "How Can You Really"
(...And Star Power, Jagjaguwar 2014)
8. The Go-Betweens - "The Old Way Out"
(Spring Hill Fair, Sire 1984)
9. Dick Diver - "Beat Me Up (Talk To A Counsellor)"
(Melbourne, Florida, Trouble In Mind 2015)
10. Ultimate Painting - "Break The Chain"
(Green Lanes, Trouble In Mind 2015)
11. Pharaohs ft. Maria Minerva - "Miraculous Feet"
(Replicant Moods, 100% Silk 2013)
12. Marie Davidson - "Excès De Vitesse"
(Un Autre Voyage, Holodeck 2015)
13. White Poppy - "Dizzy"
(White Poppy, Not Not Fun 2013)
14. La Sera - "High Notes"
(Music For Listening To Music To, Polyvinyl 2016)
15. Charlie Hilton - "Long Goodbye"
(Palana, Captured Tracks 2016)
16. Bridget St. John - "Curl Your Toes"
(Ask Me No Questions, Dandelion 1969)
17. Margo Guryan - "Sunday Morning"
(Take A Picture, Bell 1968)
18. Lynn Castle & Last Friday's Fire - "The Lady Barber"
(Soft Sounds For Gentle People Presents: Sounds Of She, Pet 2008)
19. Eartha Kitt - "The Hurdy Gurdy Man"
(Hello Everyone: Popsike Sparks From Denmark Street 1968-70, Grapefruit 2014)